I first met Casper near Boston, MA in early 2001. I saw his picture on Eskiesonline and it was love at first sight. I always told him that I thought we bonded on that long ride home to New Jersey.
Every morning when we woke, I would say, "Casper, let's stretch" and he would extend his front paws, lift his head, and then extend his back paws...I would do the same with my arms and legs.
He liked to snuggle and be petted. When I would stop, he gently tapped me with his paw to continue...and I did...always.
We were each other's best friends. Whenever I had to leave the house for more than one day, I had to pack in a closed room. The very sight of my luggage depressed him. But, when I returned, his tail wagged, that huge smile appeared, and I received numerous kisses. If I was gone for many days, he would sit beside me in bed. As soon as my eyes closed, he would tap me with his paw, as if to say, "Not so fast, I've missed you." I always told him that I missed him too...but, I know I didn't have to...he knew.
The door handles throughout the house are curved. Casper could open every one of them. He'd enter the room with a huge smile on his face as if to say, "You can't hide from me."
He and my other dog, a little Shih-tzu named Cookie, were also best friends. They did some of the funniest things. Casper always ate his treats. Cookie sometimes went over to his bed, dug with his front paws, laid the treat down, and then 'covered it' by moving his head back and forth as if pushed dirt over it. Casper would grab Cookie's favorite toy and run into another room. Cookie would always fall for it and run after him. Casper would drop the toy, circle around, and eat the 'buried' treat. When Cookie returned, she would dig and look everywhere for the devoured treat. Casper just smiled.
Casper loved to watch television. All I had to say was, "Let's watch TV." He loved the Westminster Dog Show.
I could go on forever about Casper, but my eyes are beginning to tear. On May 19, at 5 pm, after 16+ years of joy and unconditional love (Both ways), I said "Good-bye" to him for the last time. And, believe me, there was nothing 'good' about it. As I said to him near the end, "we will always be best friends, love you buddy."
No comments:
Post a Comment